Directors Flight runs from November 2019 through April 2020, with workshops/rehearsals on evenings and weekends.
Directors Flight is now accepting applications to fill five director slots in the first year of the program. This initiative will offer various workshops led by Beth Wolf, Midsommer Flight ensemble members, and guest artists. Topics covered will range from:
- Abridging/adapting Shakespeare’s text for performance
- Rehearsal strategies
- Working with Fight, Intimacy, and Music Directors
- Casting processes
- and more!
This program will culminate in a workshop performance of a full Shakespeare play, for which each of the five directors will direct one act. It is important to us that the participating directors have the chance to showcase their work at the end of this program.
Equally important to us is the financial accessibility of this training. The program has no tuition fees, and we will be paying each director a small fellowship stipend of $200 for their participation.
To apply for Directors Flight, you will need the following materials:
- A headshot (images of those selected for the program may be used on social media, our website, and/or press releases)
- Your directing resumé
- A cover letter, no more than 750 words, addressing the following:
- What has shaped you into the director you are today?
- What type(s) of theatre are you most interested in creating and presenting to the world? Why?
- What is your experience with Shakespeare in your life so far?
- Why do you want to learn more about directing Shakespeare?
- What are your next steps in your directing career?
- Two references (name, position/relationship, email address, and phone number) who can speak to your work as an artist
Once your materials are prepared, submit them here.
Midsommer Flight is especially interested in the cultivation of talent from all backgrounds and life experiences. All races/ethnicities/gender identities/sexualities/abilities are welcome. Directors who identify as POC, LGBTQIA+, gender non-conforming, and/or disabled are all encouraged to apply. This space is for everyone.
Applications that do not follow submission guidelines will not be considered. If you have any questions about your application prior to submission, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for Directors Flight are due on Monday, September 16th at 9:00AM CST. No late applications will be considered.
- The majority of interviews for directors will take place in the third week of September. Depending on the number of submissions received, it is highly likely that not all applicants will be selected for an interview.
- References will be checked in late September.
- All applicants will be notified either way by mid-October